Moving can be quite challenging, and picking the right moving company is a big decision that can make all the difference. However, researching various movers and finding services that meet your needs can be overwhelming. In this guide on how to choose a moving company, we walk you through the essential steps.
How to Choose a Moving Company in Four Steps
1. Determine Your Moving Needs
Start by nailing down the specifics. Do you want to pack your belongings yourself, or do you prefer professionals to handle it? Is temporary storage something you’re considering? Knowing these details helps narrow your search to companies that match your unique requirements.
Another important consideration is the distance between your current house and your new one. Whether you’re shifting locally, moving across state lines or making an international move, the distance directly influences the services you’ll need.
2. Research Moving Companies
There are countless movers, and while most are honest, unscrupulous businesses exist. One way to avoid accidentally hiring the wrong mover is to research. Here are three practical ways to research moving companies:
- Ask for Recommendations: Reach out to friends or family members who have recently moved and ask them if they have a mover they can recommend. Ask about their moving experiences, focusing on communication, efficiency and how the company handled challenges.
- Utilize Online Platforms and Reviews: Make the most of websites like Yelp, Google and Better Business Bureau (BBB), and read reviews from moving companies’ past customers. Genuine customer feedback provides insights into a mover’s reliability, professionalism, honesty and approach to handling belongings.
- Check Credentials and Certifications: Ask the moving company you’re considering if they are licensed, insured and registered. Using the Protect Your Move registered mover database on the Federal Motor Safety Carrier (FMCA) website, you can also check whether a mover is licensed. Enter the name of the moving company, and it will pull up information that will be useful to your research, such as its registration status, safety history and consumer complaints.
3. Get and Compare Quotes
Before settling on a moving company, gather quotes from multiple sources. Doing so allows you to compare costs, ensuring you get the most value.
Many movers offer online estimates for free, so don’t hesitate to contact them for tailored quotes. Doing so not only helps you compare costs but also provides insights into the services they offer.
However, remember that cost should not be the primary or only factor you should consider. A reliable moving company might charge slightly more than a mover with a less-than-stellar reputation. However, they will likely provide better service by delivering regular updates, using high-quality packing materials and handling your belongings carefully.
Also, it’s important to note that moving companies consider various factors in pricing. These include the distance of the move, the volume and weight of items, the need for additional services like packing or storage and the time of year. Understanding these factors helps you better understand each quote and evaluate which company offers the best value for your unique requirements.
4. Assess their Customer Service and Communication
Check online reviews and testimonials to gauge a company’s customer service and communication track record. Selecting a moving company with excellent customer service and effective communication is crucial for a stress-free move.
A company that promptly answers inquiries, provides detailed information and maintains open lines of communication prioritizes customer satisfaction. Additionally, they will likely be easy to get in touch with should you have concerns or questions about your move.
The ideal moving company should also practice transparency and be open to discussing your expectations and requirements. They should also provide you with an overview of the moving process. This ensures alignment and minimizes the risk of misunderstandings.
Making the Final Decision
Before choosing a moving company, evaluate the pros and cons of each option. Consider factors like reviews, costs and services provided. Additionally, you should ensure that your decision aligns with your specific moving needs.
Learning how to choose a moving company is essential in ensuring a smooth and stress-free relocation. With careful planning, thorough research, and an informed decision-making process, you can entrust your belongings to a reputable company that will handle them with care and professionalism.
Experience a Stress-Free and Streamlined Move
Freedom Moving & Storage is a trusted moving company with several locations throughout New Jersey and New York. We are equipped and trained to handle local, interstate and international moves, and we offer services like packing, storage and car transport to make the process seamless and stress-free.
Contact us today for a free quote!